Album: Joe Satriani - Shockwave Supernova (2015)







You know you like an album when you just cannot stop listening to it and for me, Joe Satriani's latest effort is one such album.

I was having a look through HMV's Vinyl bargain bin when I came across this one for a mere £10! I knew of Joe Satriani through a friend but had never heard any of his work before so I had a listen to some tracks from this album on Youtube. Well it didn't take long before I was sold so this along with a few other Vinyls, I made my purchase and when I arrived home, this was the first record I gave a spin on my turntable. What I noticed once the album drew to a close was how no two tracks are the same which really demonstrates Joe's different guitar playing style. There are times on this when I was reminded of Jeff Beck and also Joe Bonamassa with a hint of Steve Hackett when he recorded some of his bluesy records but looking through Satriani's history, I would say he has earned the right to having his own distinct identity. What is interesting also is that this album is entirely instrumental but having not heard any of his other works, I can't say if this is the kind of record he usually goes for.
They say album covers are important and I am inclined to agree especially with this one as pictured above, I absolutely love the artwork on this one almost as much as the musical content! I think that is why it caught my eye first of all before I saw the name of the artist and I am so glad it did.

My recommendation would be that this is an album for those who are not only fans of instrumental albums with a hint of blues but for those who love soaring guitar riffs with a variety of tracks that ooze with personality. For those, I can't praise this enough and I absolutely love it!

Thanks for reading!


P.s. The reviews incoming will mostly focus on older releases with the odd new one interspersed here and there. Thank you again readers!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Albums: Giraffe - The Power of Suggestion (1987) / The View from Here (1988)

Album: Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of Spartacus (1992)

Album: Empire State - Indian Summer (2013)