My Bass Guitar







A little over ten years ago, I had the urge to take up a musical instrument and that being the Bass Guitar!

If I recall, it was around this time in 2006 when I took one of my browses through the sale section of HMV before heading to my next lecture at college, when my eyes happened upon Level 42 The Collection CD for a mere £3! I remembered that I'd heard their music around my aunties' as a boy and thinking I quite liked what I had heard. At that price, I took the chance and played it regularly for some time but what I found was that I was listening mostly to the lead vocalist and bass guitarist Mark King! With time I was captivated by his slap bass technique and it was then that I knew I wanted to take it up myself. It was also this same year that the band was about to release their brand new album 'Retroglide' their first since Forever Now way back in 1994! To coincide with this release the band were to tour and they were going to be performing locally around the time of my birthday. What a great present that would have been or at least it would have been if I had actually made it to see them. In fact to this day I have yet to see them live, (another chance fell my way last year when they were going to be performing in an 80's festival near to me but the same problem befell me as the previous occasion, not having someone to go with).

Fast forward ten years to this time last year and I have become a fan of many more bassists since (Tal Wilkenfeld being a particular favourite.) I also had finally bought my first bass guitar (as pictured above). "You can't have been that bothered then" I hear you say as it took me so long. Well, I can certainly see why you would think that but it would have been tricky back in the day having yet to have worked in a full time job and just completing my course at college. It was one of many difficult times for me that followed but to avoid going way off topic here all I will say is, I was very unsure as to what my next move in life was to be and when I eventually acquired a job, it was just part time. It was that way for a long time and priorities changed, took up driving lessons etc.
Eventually I went full time, saved for many years and bingo! We arrive to the present and I have owned the bass for a year and admittedly I haven't played it as much as I would have liked but I hope time will be on my side moving forward so I can dedicate more hours to my hobby.

My love for music is incredibly strong, there isn't much else I enjoy quite as much and I am looking forward to getting plenty of practice in playing my instrument whilst enjoying it immensely!


P.s. Reviews will be arriving soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album: Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of Spartacus (1992)

Albums: Giraffe - The Power of Suggestion (1987) / The View from Here (1988)

Film: Adrift (2006) a.k.a. Open Water 2