Film: Splinter (2008)




For my first review, I thought I would have a go at this one I watched last night. As it is my first review, I don't expect it to be the best but it will be a short one, much like the film actually!

It's a film I have been meaning to watch for some time ever since it had been brought to my attention back in '09 I believe. A friend had come to mine with a couple of dvd's he thought I may be interested in; The Incredible Hulk (2008) and this one... we chose the former. Fast forward to the present, I am having one of my usual looks through the listings for the coming week on the tv guide concentrating on the film channels and especially the Horror channel which is when I came upon this.

What struck me towards the end of the film was how unusual yet also how familiar it was. The familiarity wasn't just how it had a similarity with other films in the genre and of the past fifteen years or so but it bore a striking resemblance to The Thing (1982)! Like that film, the effects are very well done and that brought a realism to the proceedings. What let it down for me was unlike The Thing, the characters were very typical of horror films today and the camera work made it difficult to make out the creature as it was very erratic. Something the classic film from '82 got right, you can make out everything that is going on screen and with no teenagers in sight!

Having said that, it was an enjoyable film and I can certainly appreciate the work that went into this one and at it's running time of a mere 82 minutes, it doesn't out stay it's welcome Would I watch it again? Probably not but it is definitely a film I would recommend to the horror fans weather you have seen The Thing or not. However, It's not one I would add to my collection.

Thank you for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album: Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of Spartacus (1992)

Albums: Giraffe - The Power of Suggestion (1987) / The View from Here (1988)

Film: Adrift (2006) a.k.a. Open Water 2